Thursday, February 12, 2015

Casa y Recuerdo: mi mama

Su nombre es Blanca.
A ella tampoco le gusta mucho su nombre.
Pero yo pienso que le queda muy bien.

She is simple. Our house is painted white and windows are left open to let light in and have the breeze make the white curtains dance. Toni said that he picked up on a simplicity in my work and wondered if it came from my upbring in the US or from my architectural training. I think it comes from my mother. She was never into the reds and golds often found in Mexican tradition despite how proud she is to say that she is Mexican. She taught me the importance of having a clean space to come home to. 

I wish I could show you her smile. It's often quieter and more private, I wish I could show you her laugh, the one that she saves for immediate family and her sisters, the great guffaw that flows freely from her, the rolling giggle that gathers momentum. She taught me how to laugh, how to really laugh.

She finds no pleasure in material things. She believes in dignity, but also in humbleness, She is grateful for everything she has.  
"How do you materialize death?" Toni asked.
I thought the metal rods looked a little bit like nails driven into the wood and I liked the imagery because it referenced the crucifixion. In Catholicism, the difficulty in life is often referenced as a person's cross. A line also references an individual's life in this world, with a beginning and an end. 
The glass cup had been shattered until it almost seemed like it could no longer serve it function. But careful fine-tuning allows it to be able to hold water and give life. The broken edges allow it to give light in ways in hadn't able to before.
While I was putting away the vase, I used the white cloth to wipe away the water and it reminded me of the priest wiping the chalice after communion as part of the ritual. I liked the idea of  an art piece being a ritual. Rituals are a big part of my faith and I love the idea of them.







No comments:

Post a Comment